AB 608 was built by NZR Addington (Christchurch) in 1915 and named "Passchendaele" in 1925 as a War Memorial for over 400 railwaymen who did not return from the war in Europe. DA 1431 is an EMD G12 built by Clyde Engineering in NSW in 1957 for NZ Railways. It was sold to Steam Incorporated in 1988 and, after restoration, returned to mainline service in 2009. The train is bound for Ohakune a ski resort town at the base of Mt Ruapehu. 608 was making the first excursion run since restoration and was taken off the train at Palmerston North to be serviced for the return trip.